Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
The United States economy added 134,000 jobs in September 2018 while the unemployment rate declined to 3.7 percent during the month, according to the jobs report for September 2018 released by the U.S. Department of Labor’s (DOL) Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
The jobs report for September 2018 showed the number of unemployed persons declined to 6.0 million while job gains occurred in professional and business services, health care, transportation and warehousing, construction, manufacturing, and mining.
- Professional and business services employment added 54,000 jobs in September 2018 and 560,000 jobs over the year.
- Health care employment rose by 26,000 jobs in September 2018 and has increased by 302,000 jobs over the year.
- Transportation and warehousing employment rose by 24,000 jobs in September 2018 and by 174,000 jobs over the year.
- Construction employment added 23,000 jobs in September 2018 and has increased by 315,000 jobs over the year.
- Manufacturing employment added 23,000 jobs in September 2018 but has risen by 278,000 jobs over the year.
- Mining employment increased by 6,000 jobs in September 2018 and has added 53,000 jobs over the year.
Leisure and hospitality employment lost 17,000 jobs in September 2018 due to the impact of Hurricane Florence. Employment showed little or no change in other major industries including wholesale trade, retail trade, information, financial activities, and government.
The change in employment for July 2018 was revised from 147,000 jobs added to 165,000 jobs added while August 2018 was revised from 201,000 jobs added to 270,000 jobs added. With the revisions, employment gains in these two months were 87,000 jobs more than previously reported.
The jobs report is usually released on the first Friday of every month. The jobs report for October 2018 is scheduled to be released on Friday, November 2, 2018. Until then, the most recent jobs report will be available at www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm (PDF).
ESR Helps Employers Fill Jobs with Background Checks
A survey of HR professionals released in May 2018 by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS) – a non-profit trade organization representing the screening industry – revealed that 95 percent of employers conducted background checks.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – a leading global background check firm – helps employers in every industry fill jobs using fast, accurate, affordable, and compliant background checks. To learn more about ESR, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, or visit www.esrcheck.com.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2018 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.