Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
The United States economy added 250,000 jobs in October 2018 while the unemployment rate remained unchanged at 3.7 percent during the month, according to the jobs report for October 2018 released by the U.S. Department of Labor’s (DOL) Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
The jobs report for October 2018 showed the number of unemployed persons was little changed at 6.1 million while job gains occurred in leisure and hospitality, health care, professional and business services, manufacturing, construction, transportation and warehousing, and mining
- Leisure and hospitality employment added 42,000 jobs in October 2018 after being unchanged in September 2018 due to the impact of Hurricane Florence.
- Health care employment rose by 36,000 jobs in October 2018 and has increased by 323,000 jobs over the past twelve months.
- Professional and business services employment gained 35,000 jobs in October 2018 and has added 516,000 jobs over the year.
- Manufacturing employment added 32,000 jobs in October 2018 but has risen by 296,000 jobs over the year.
- Construction employment added 30,000 jobs in October 2018 and has increased by 330,000 jobs over the past 12 months.
- Transportation and warehousing employment rose by 25,000 jobs in October 2018 and by 184,000 jobs over the year.
- Mining employment increased by 5,000 jobs in October 2018 and has added 65,000 jobs over the year.
Employment in other industries including wholesale trade, retail trade, information, financial activities, and government showed little change over the month. Over the year, the unemployment rate and the number of unemployed persons declined by 0.4 percentage point and 449,000.
The change in employment for September 2018 was revised from 134,000 jobs added to 118,000 jobs added while August 2018 was revised from 270,000 jobs added to 286,000 jobs added. With the revisions, job gains have averaged 218,000 over the past 3 months.
The jobs report is usually released on the first Friday of every month. The jobs report for November 2018 is scheduled to be released on Friday, December 7, 2018. Until then, the most recent jobs report will be available at www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm (PDF).
A survey of HR professionals released in May 2018 by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS) – a non-profit trade organization representing the screening industry – revealed that 95 percent of employers conduct background checks on job applicants.
ESR Helps Employers Fill Jobs with Background Checks
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – a leading global background check firm – helps employers in every industry fill jobs using fast, accurate, affordable, and compliant background checks. To learn more about ESR, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, or visit www.esrcheck.com.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2018 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.