Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
On February 11, 2019, President of the United States Donald J. Trump signed an ‘Executive Order on Maintaining American Leadership in Artificial Intelligence (AI)’ since AI “promises to drive growth of the United States economy, enhance our economic and national security, and improve our quality of life.”
Maintain American Leadership in AI
The U.S. is the world leader in AI research and development (R&D) and “American leadership in AI is of paramount importance to maintaining the economic and national security of the United States and to shaping the global evolution of AI in a manner consistent with our Nation’s values, policies, and priorities,” the order reads.
It is the policy of the United States Government to sustain and enhance the scientific, technological, and economic leadership position of the United States in AI R&D and deployment through a coordinated Federal Government strategy, the American AI Initiative, guided by five principles:
- The United States must drive technological breakthroughs in AI across the Federal Government, industry, and academia in order to promote scientific discovery, economic competitiveness, and national security.
- The United States must drive development of appropriate technical standards and reduce barriers to the safe testing and deployment of AI technologies in order to enable the creation of new AI-related industries and the adoption of AI by today’s industries.
- The United States must train current and future generations of American workers with the skills to develop and apply AI technologies to prepare them for today’s economy and jobs of the future.
- The United States must foster public trust and confidence in AI technologies and protect civil liberties, privacy, and American values in their application in order to fully realize the potential of AI technologies for the American people.
- The United States must promote an international environment that supports American AI research and innovation and opens markets for American AI industries, while protecting our technological advantage in AI and protecting our critical AI technologies from acquisition by strategic competitors and adversarial nations.
The term “artificial intelligence” means the full extent of Federal investments in AI, to include: R&D of core AI techniques and technologies; AI prototype systems; application and adaptation of AI techniques; architectural and systems support for AI; and cyberinfrastructure, data sets, and standards for AI.
The executive order also covers objectives, roles and responsibilities, Federal investment in AI R&D, data and computing resources for AI R&D, guidance for regulation of AI applications, and AI and the American workforce action plan for protection of the United States advantage in AI technologies.
“Artificial intelligence” or “AI” is intelligence demonstrated by machines and not the natural intelligence displayed by humans and animals. AI research is defined as the study of “intelligent agents” and “AI” is used when machines mimic functions of the human mind such as learning and problem solving.
Use of AI for Background Checks an ESR Top Trend for 2019
The use of AI will improve background checks but the “human touch” will still be needed due to discrimination concerns and this trend was chosen by global background check provider Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) as one of the “ESR Top Ten Background Check Trends” for 2019.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2019 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.