Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
The United States economy added 266,000 jobs during November of 2019 while the unemployment rate dropped to 3.5 percent during the month, according to the November 2019 jobs report released by the U.S. Department of Labor’s (DOL) Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
The jobs report for November 2019 showed the number of unemployed persons dropped to 5.8 million, while job gains occurred in manufacturing, health care, leisure and hospitality, professional and technical services, transportation and warehousing, financial activities, and retail trade.
- Manufacturing employment rose by 54,000 jobs in November, following a decline of 43,000 jobs in the prior month.
- Health care employment added 45,000 jobs in November, following little employment change in October, and has added 414,000 jobs over the last 12 months.
- Leisure and hospitality employment continued to trend up with 45,000 jobs added in November, and the industry has added 219,000 jobs over the last 4 months.
- Professional and technical services employment increased by 31,000 jobs in November, and by 278,000 jobs over the last 12 months.
- Transportation and warehousing employment continued on an upward trend in November with the addition of 16,000 jobs.
- Retail trade employment added 2,000 jobs, with gains in general merchandise stores offsetting losses in clothing and clothing accessories stores.
On the negative side, the jobs report showed mining employment declined by 7,000 jobs in November 2019. Employment in other major industries including construction, wholesale trade, information, and government showed little change over the month.
The change in employment for September 2019 was revised from 180,000 jobs added to 193,000 jobs added while October 2019 was revised from 128,000 jobs added to 156,000 jobs added. With these revisions, gains in September 2019 and October 2019 combined were 41,000 jobs more than previously reported.
The jobs report is usually released on the first Friday of every month. The jobs report for December 2019 is scheduled to be released on Friday, January 10, 2020. Until then, the most recent jobs report will be available at www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm (PDF).
A survey of HR professionals released in May 2019 by the Professional Background Screening Association (PBSA) – formerly known as the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS) – revealed that 96 percent of employers conduct background checks on job applicants.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – a leading global background check firm – helps employers fill jobs in every industry using fast, accurate, affordable, and compliant background checks. To learn more about, follow ESR on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, or visit www.esrcheck.com.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2019 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.