By Thomas Ahearn, Employment Screening Resources (ESR) News Editor
Attorney and safe hiring expert Lester Rosen, President of Employment Screening Resources (ESR), a background check company accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), will present a 60 minute webinar titled ‘Negligent Hiring and Background Checks – Best Practices, Trends, and Legal Compliance’ for Avant Resources on Wednesday, January 19, 2011 at 3:00 pm EST (12:00 pm PST). For more information on the webinar, visit http://www.avantresources.com.
“Employee problems are caused by problem employees, and this session will help employers and HR professionals avoid bad hires in the first place by practicing due diligence in their hiring programs,” says Rosen, the author of ‘The Safe Hiring Manual – The Complete Guide to Keeping Criminals, Terrorists, and Imposters Out of Your Workplace,’ the first comprehensive book on background screening. “Spending a great deal of time and energy to select the best hire quickly goes down the drain if an employer fails to exercise due diligence to ensure the candidate is for real.”
Without exercising due diligence, there is a near statistical certainty that a firm will hire someone with fake education or employment credentials or even an unsuitable criminal record. Even one bad hire can create a legal and financial nightmare, including workplace violence, unqualified workers and time wasted in recruiting and hiring the wrong person. Negligent hiring is one of the fastest growing areas of employment litigation.
In the webinar, participants will learn legally complaint best practices to keep a business productive and out of court, including how to obtain and utilize criminal records and background information on job applicants. In addition, participants will:
- Learn why background checks and due diligence have become mission critical for employers.
- Understand the importance of federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), discrimination laws, and the impact of state specific rules and regulations.
- Understand the basics of a negligent hiring lawsuit and defenses that work and do not work.
- Get acquainted with cutting edge issues such as the new Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) focus on criminal records and credit reports and the use of social network sites.
- Learn how to spot fraudulent employment and education credentials.
- Learn steps organizations can take today to implement a legally compliant program and to hire the best employees.
Rosen is a consultant, writer and frequent presenter nationwide on pre-employment screening and safe hiring issues. He also was the chairperson of the steering committee that founded NAPBS, a professional trade organization for the background screening industry and served as the first co-chairman in 2004. His speaking appearances, which include numerous national and statewide conferences, are detailed at: https://www.esrcheck.com/ESR_Speaks.php.
Founded in 1996 in the San Francisco area, Employment Screening Resources (ESR) wrote the book on background checks with ‘The Safe Hiring Manual’ by ESR founder and President Lester Rosen and is accredited by The National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS®) . To learn more about Employment Screening Resources, visit https://www.esrcheck.com or contact Jared Callahan, ESR Director of Client Relations, at 415.898.0044 or [email protected].