<![CDATA[Attorney at Law and safe hiring expert Lester Rosen, founder and CEO of nationwide accredited background check firm Employment Screening Resources (ESR), will present the Business & Legal Resources (BLR) webinar ‘Background Checks: How to Legally Use Credit Inquires, Social Media Searches, and More’ on Thursday, March 22, 2012 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. PST (1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. EST). For more information about the webinar, visit: http://catalog.blr.com/product.cfm?product=30756000.
“If you are an employer and don’t already run background checks on job applicants, you should,” says Attorney Rosen, author of ‘The Safe Hiring Manual’ and a frequent speaker on employment screening issues as part of the ‘ESR Speaks’ training program. “It’s an opportunity to investigate whether applicants have lied, stolen, cheated, been violent, or otherwise engaged in unacceptable behavior. It’s also a way to defend against a negligent hiring claim in the event you hire someone with a clean slate who later on turns out bad.”
During the 90 minute webinar, Rosen will teach attendees the legal “dos and don’ts” for conducting background checks on employees and job applicants. Participants will also learn:
- Where federal law stands on performing credit checks.
- Which states currently limit the use of credit checks in employment screening.
- Upcoming legislation in the works regarding background screening and credit checks.
- Ins and outs of the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA).
- Legally sound ways to conduct internet searches on potential employees.
- How to use public records as an effective tool for conducting background checks.
- Limitations the law places on using information from social networking sites.
- Types of background checks that are absolutely recommended for all employers.
- Tools employers can use in-house to increase the chances of hiring safe and qualified employees, including the application, interview, and past employment check process.
- Technology’s impact on background checks.
- How to prepare for new employment screening trends in 2012 and beyond.
“It’s also important for employers to know the procedures to follow once they decide not to hire someone because of the information they have uncovered,” Rosen adds. “Missteps at this point make employers especially vulnerable to failure-to-hire bias claims.”
Rosen is a frequent presenter nationwide on pre-employment screening and safe hiring issues and his speaking appearances have included numerous national and statewide conferences. Mr. Rosen was the chairperson of the steering committee that founded the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), a professional trade organization for the background screening industry, and served as the co-chairman.
For more information about the webinar, which has been approved for 1.5 credit hours toward PHR and SPHR recertification through the Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI), visit: http://catalog.blr.com/product.cfm?product=30756000
To learn more about background checks, visit Employment Screening Resources (ESR)
– ‘The Background Check Authority’ and nationwide background screening firm accredited by the NAPBS® – at https://www.esrcheck.com/
or call 415.898.0044.
About Employment Screening Resources (ESR):
Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – ‘The Background Check AuthoritySM’ – provides accurate and actionable information, empowering employers to make informed safe hiring decisions for the benefit for our clients, their employees, and the public. ESR literally wrote the book on background screening with “The Safe Hiring Manual” by Founder and CEO Lester Rosen. ESR is accredited by The National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), a distinction held by less than two percent of all screening firms. By choosing an accredited screening firm like ESR, employers know they have selected an agency that meets the highest industry standards. For more information about Employment Screening Resources (ESR), visit https://www.esrcheck.com/ or call 415.898.0044 or 888.999.4474.
About ESR News:
The Employment Screening Resources (ESR) News blog – ESR News – provides employment screening information for employers, recruiters, and jobseekers on a variety of topics including credit reports, criminal records, data privacy, discrimination, E-Verify, jobs reports, legal updates, negligent hiring, workplace violence, and use of search engines and social network sites for background checks. For more information about ESR News or to send comments or questions, please email ESR News Editor Thomas Ahearn at [email protected].