Attorney at Law and safe hiring expert Lester Rosen, founder and CEO of San Francisco, CA area-based background check firm Employment Screening Resources (ESR), will present a session titled ‘Negligent Hiring and Background Checks – Best Practices and Legal Compliance’ on Tuesday, May 8, 2012 from 2:15 PM to 3:45 PM for the California Association for Health Services at Home (CAHSAH) 2012 Annual Conference at the Pasadena Convention Center in Pasadena, CA. For more information about the CAHSAH 2012 Annual Conference, visit http://cahsah.org/index.php?p=annual_conferences. “Employee problems are caused by problem employees,” explains Rosen, author of ‘The Safe Hiring Manual’ and a frequent speaker on the topic of background checks. “This session will help employers avoid bad hires and negligent hiring lawsuits in their hiring programs by performing due diligence.” With negligent hiring one of the fastest growing areas of employment litigation, Rosen says employers need to learn legally complaint best practices to keep their businesses productive and out of court, including how to obtain and utilize criminal record and background information on job applicants with regard to the recently updated Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) Enforcement Guidance for the use of arrest and conviction records by employers for employment decisions. Learning points of the session will include:
- Why background checks and due diligence have become mission critical for employers
- Understanding the basics of a negligent hiring lawsuit and defenses that work and do not work
- Getting acquainted with cutting edge issues such as the new EEOC focus on criminal records and credit reports and the use of social network sites
- Learning how to spent fraudulent employment and education credentials
- Learning steps an organization can take to implement a legally compliant program and to hire the best employees.