To help show employers how to conduct legal background checks, Jared Callahan of Employment Screening Resources (ESR) will present a webinar with Business & Legal Resources (BLR) titled ‘Background Checks: How to Legally Use Criminal Records, Social Media Searches, and More’ on Thursday, September 13, 2012 from 10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. PST (1:30 to 3:00 p.m. EST). For more information about the webinar, visit: http://catalog.blr.com/product.cfm/product/30744400. While background checks can be a great opportunity for employers to learn more about potential employees and to investigate whether job applicants have engaged in unacceptable behavior that may affect hiring decisions, it is crucial for employers to understand the legal parameters to avoid risking costly discrimination and failure-to-hire bias claims. Participants in the interactive 90 minute webinar will learn how to conduct smart background checks to help ensure safe hires. In addition, they will learn:
- How to tell if running an applicant or employee’s credit could leave a company vulnerable to federal claims.
- Best practices for complying with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission’s (EEOC) recently issued guidance on using criminal records as part of background checks.
- Tips for legally conducting Internet searches on potential hires, and the limitations placed on organizations concerning information gleaned from social-networking sites.
- How to use public records as a tool for conducting background checks and what to look for.
- Background check practices every employer should use to diminish the risk of negligent hiring claims.