The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) – the government agency that oversees lawful immigration to the United States – released several new enhancements for the E-Verify Electronic Employment Eligibility Verification Program on September 16, 2012 that will go into effect immediately, according to the ‘What’s New’ page on the USCIS website. For more information about E-Verify, visit: http://www.dhs.gov/e-verify. The new enhancements will improve the user experience with E-Verify, a free internet-based system from the federal government that compares information from the ‘Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification’ that employers must complete for all newly-hired employees to verify their identity and authorization to work in the United States with records in Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and Social Security Administration (SSA) databases. These enhancements will include:
- E-Verify will now support Internet Explorer (version 6.0 and above) as well as three new browser types: Firefox (version 3.0 and above), Chrome (version 7.0 and above), and Safari (version 4.0 and above).
- A new Quick Audit Report will allow companies to report their E-Verify activity to federal, state, or local government entities when required. This Excel report displays case data but does not include sensitive employee information such as Social Security numbers, or document numbers.
- New fields will help to reduce instances of tentative nonconfirmations for employees who provide a foreign passport. If an employee provides a foreign passport, the employer should record the country of issuance and foreign passport number on Form I-9 and enter the information when creating an E-Verify case.
- A new Web-based tutorial replaces the live webinar training required of new Corporate Administrators. The tutorial also serves as a resource for existing Corporate Administrators. To access the E-Verify Tutorial for Corporate Administrators, select the ‘Take Tutorial’ link under My Resources in the left-hand navigation menu.
- A new E-Verify User Manual for Corporate Administrators is now available from the ‘View User Manual’ link under My Resources in the left-hand navigation menu.