Nationwide accredited background check firm Employment Screening Resources (ESR) has released its Sixth Annual ‘ESR Top Ten Background Check Trends for 2013’ featuring emerging and influential trends in the background screening industry selected by ESR Founder and CEO Attorney Lester Rosen. For 2013, the focus on accuracy of background check report information and the greater scrutiny of the screening industry was chosen as the number one trend. The Sixth Annual ‘ESR Top Ten Background Check Trends for 2013’ is available at https://www.esrcheck.com/Top-Ten-Background-Check-Trends-for-2013.php.
“After reported cases of inaccurate criminal background checks costing job seekers employment in 2012, the background screening industry faced greater scrutiny over the accuracy of information in reports and this increased attention will continue in 2013,” says Rosen, a nationally recognized background check expert and author of ‘The Safe Hiring Manual,’ a comprehensive guide for employment screening which was updated for a second edition published in October 2012. More information about trends is in “The Safe Hiring Manual” available at https://www.esrcheck.com/SafeHiringManual.php.
For the past several weeks, each trend was announced in separate articles on the ESR News blog. Rosen has selected the following ten background check trends to follow in the coming year (ESR News blog articles available on links):
- ESR Background Check Trend Number 1 – ‘Background Screening Industry Faces Greater Scrutiny after Accuracy of Criminal Background Checks Questioned’: https://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/2013/01/03/background-screening-industry-faces-greater-scrutiny-after-accuracy-of-criminal-background-checks-questioned/.
- ESR Background Check Trend Number 2 – ‘EEOC Updates Guidance on Criminal Records to Prevent Employment Discrimination during Background Checks’: https://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/2013/01/02/eeoc-updates-guidance-on-criminal-records-to-prevent-employment-discrimination-during-background-checks/.
- ESR Background Check Trend Number 3 – ‘Ban the Box Movement Removing Question about Criminal Records from Job Applications Spreads Across United States’: https://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/2013/01/02/eeoc-updates-guidance-on-criminal-records-to-prevent-employment-discrimination-during-background-checks/.
- ESR Background Check Trend Number 4 – ‘New Privacy Laws for Collection and Use of Personal Data of Consumers Focus on Background Checks’: https://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/2012/12/27/new-privacy-laws-for-collection-and-use-of-personal-data-of-consumers-focus-on-background-checks/.
- ESR Background Check Trend Number 5 – ‘Offshoring Personal Data of Americans to Foreign Countries for Background Checks Opposed by Many US Screening Firms’: https://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/2012/12/26/offshoring-personal-data-of-americans-to-foreign-countries-for-background-checks-opposed-by-many-us-screening-firms/.
- ESR Background Check Trend Number 6 – ‘Class Action Lawsuits for Violations of Fair Credit Reporting Act Becoming More Common for Consumer Reporting Agencies’: https://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/2012/12/19/class-action-lawsuits-for-violations-of-fair-credit-reporting-act-becoming-more-common-for-consumer-reporting-agencies/.
- ESR Background Check Trend Number 7 – ‘New E-Verify State Laws for 2013 Will Add to Already Confusing Patchwork of Regulations for Employers’: https://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/2012/12/18/new-e-verify-state-laws-for-2013-will-add-to-already-confusing-patchwork-of-regulations-for-employers/.
- ESR Background Check Trend Number 8 – ‘Use of National Criminal Databases No Substitution for County Courthouse Searches during Real Background Checks’: https://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/2012/12/14/use-of-national-criminal-databases-no-substitution-for-county-courthouse-searches-during-real-background-checks/.
- ESR Background Check Trend Number 9 – ‘Government Increases Action Against Consumer Reporting Agencies Using Background Checks in Violation of FCRA’: https://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/2012/12/13/government-increases-action-against-consumer-reporting-agencies-using-background-checks-in-violation-of-fcra/.
- ESR Background Check Trend Number 10 – ‘Background Checks Becoming Integrated with ATS and HRIS to Create One Stop Shop for Screening and Hiring’: https://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/2012/12/11/background-checks-becoming-integrated-with-ats-and-hris-to-create-one-stop-shop-for-screening-and-hiring/.
Employment Screening Resources (ESR) has compiled ‘ESR Top Ten Background Check Trends’ since 2008. Rosen selects each trend after reviewing developments from various sources that included evolving hiring practices and demographics, legal cases concerning background checks, advancements in screening technology, new government regulations for screening at the federal and state level, and questions and concerns regarding background checks. For previous lists of top screening trends, visit https://www.esrcheck.com/ESR-Top-Ten-Background-Check-Trends.php.
Rosen founded Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority’ – in 1997 in the San Francisco, California area and ESR is accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS). Rosen was the chairperson of the steering committee that founded the NAPBS and served as the first co-chairman. He is a frequent presenter nationwide and his appearances have included numerous national conferences for “ESR Speaks.” For information about speaking events, visit https://www.esrcheck.com/Newsletter/ESR-Speaks/.
For more information about Employment Screening Resources (ESR), visit https://www.esrcheck.com or call toll free 888.999.4474. The 6th Annual ‘ESR Top Ten Background Check Trends for 2013’ is available at https://www.esrcheck.com/Top-Ten-Background-Check-Trends-for-2013.php.
About Employment Screening Resources (ESR):
Founded by safe hiring expert Attorney Les Rosen in 1997, Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – ‘The Background Check AuthoritySM’– provides accurate and actionable information that empowers employers to make informed hiring decisions for the benefit of their organizations, employees, and the public. CEO Rosen literally wrote the book on background checks with “The Safe Hiring Manual” and ESR is accredited by The National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), a distinction held by a small percent of screening firms. Employers choosing ESR know they have selected an agency meeting the highest industry standards. To learn more about ESR, visit https://www.esrcheck.com or call toll free 888.999.4474.
About ESR News:
The Employment Screening Resources (ESR) News blog – ESR News – provides employment screening information for employers, recruiters, and jobseekers on a variety of topics including credit reports, criminal records, data privacy, discrimination, E-Verify, jobs reports, legal updates, negligent hiring, workplace violence, and use of search engines and social network sites for background checks. For more information about ESR News or to send comments or questions, please email ESR News Editor Thomas Ahearn at [email protected]. To subscribe to the ESR News Blog Feed, visit https://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/feed/. To subscribe to the complimentary ESRcheck Report monthly newsletter, please visit https://www.esrcheck.com/Newsletter/.