Attorney and safe hiring expert Lester Rosen, Founder and CEO of nationwide accredited background check firm Employment Screening Resources (ESR), will discuss ‘The Top Ten Trends for Background Checks in 2013 – What Every Employer Needs to Know’ on Thursday, February 7, 2012, from 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM Eastern (Noon to 1:00 PM Pacific) for The Proactive Employer internet radio talk show. To listen to the program hosted by Stephanie R. Thomas, Ph.D., visit http://www.thomasecon.com/tpe/shows/342-february-7-2013-top-10-trends-in-background-screening-for-2013.html.
Rosen – author of ‘The Safe Hiring Manual,’ a comprehensive guide to employment screening recently updated for a 2nd edition published in October 2012 – has compiled the 6th annual ‘ESR Top 10 Background Check Trends for 2013’ featuring a list of emerging and influential trends in the screening industry that employers should look for in the coming year. The complete list of top background check trends is available at http://www.esrcheck.com/Top-Ten-Background-Check-Trends-for-2013.php.
Among top screening trends for 2013 are a movement toward greater accuracy in background checks, new U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) Enforcement Guidance on how employers should use criminal background checks, and a new sentiment to “ban the box” that asks applicants to check a box on employment applications if they have past criminal convictions. On the show, Rosen will discuss the following ‘Top 10 Background Check Trends for 2013’ to keep track of in the coming year:
- # 1 – Background Screening Industry Faces Greater Scrutiny after Accuracy of Criminal Background Checks Questioned.
- # 2 – EEOC Updates Guidance on Criminal Records to Prevent Employment Discrimination during Background Checks.
- # 3 – Ban the Box Movement Removing Question about Criminal Records from Job Applications Spreads Across United States.
- # 4 – New Privacy Laws for Collection and Use of Personal Data of Consumers Focus on Background Checks.
- # 5 – Offshoring Personal Data of Americans to Foreign Countries for Background Checks Opposed by Many US Screening Firms.
- # 6 – Class Action Lawsuits for Violations of Fair Credit Reporting Act Becoming More Common for Consumer Reporting Agencies.
- # 7 – New E-Verify State Laws for 2013 Will Add to Already Confusing Patchwork of Regulations for Employers.
- # 8 – Use of National Criminal Databases No Substitution for County Courthouse Searches during Real Background Checks.
- # 9 – Government Increases Action Against Consumer Reporting Agencies Using Background Checks in Violation of FCRA.
- # 10 – Background Checks Becoming Integrated with ATS and HRIS to Create One Stop Shop for Screening and Hiring.
Rosen has compiled annual lists of top screening trends since 2008 after reviewing developments from various sources that include evolving hiring practices and demographics, legal cases for background checks, advancements in screening technology, new government regulations for screening at the federal and state level, and questions and concerns regarding background checks. For previous lists of top background check trends, visit http://www.esrcheck.com/ESR-Top-Ten-Background-Check-Trends.php.
The Proactive Employer is a top source for the latest news and commentary on workplace issues, HR best practices, employment litigation risk management, and compliance. The show focuses on issues of interest to HR professionals, compliance officers, corporate counsel, employment attorneys, and others interested in workplace issues in the United States and around the world. The Proactive Employer is available every Thursday at 3:00 PM Eastern (12 Noon Pacific) at http://www.thomasecon.com/tpe/.
Rosen founded Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority’ – in 1997 in the San Francisco, California area. ESR is accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS). For information about background check solutions from ESR, visit http://www.esrcheck.com or call toll free 888.999.4474. For more information about future speaking events by Attorney Lester Rosen, vist the ‘ESR Speaks’ page at http://www.esrcheck.com/Newsletter/ESR-Speaks/.
About Employment Screening Resources (ESR):
Founded by safe hiring expert Attorney Les Rosen in 1997, Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – ‘The Background Check AuthoritySM’– provides accurate and actionable information that empowers employers to make informed hiring decisions for the benefit of their organizations, employees, and the public. CEO Rosen literally wrote the book on background checks with “The Safe Hiring Manual” and ESR is accredited by The National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), a distinction held by a small percent of screening firms. Employers choosing ESR know they have selected an agency meeting the highest industry standards. To learn more about ESR, visit http://www.esrcheck.com or call toll free 888.999.4474.
About ESR News:
The Employment Screening Resources (ESR) News blog – ESR News – provides employment screening information for employers, recruiters, and jobseekers on a variety of topics including credit reports, criminal records, data privacy, discrimination, E-Verify, jobs reports, legal updates, negligent hiring, workplace violence, and use of search engines and social network sites for background checks. For more information about ESR News or to send comments or questions, please email ESR News Editor Thomas Ahearn at [email protected]. To subscribe to the ESR News Blog Feed, visit http://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/feed/. To subscribe to the complimentary ESRcheck Report monthly newsletter, please visit http://www.esrcheck.com/Newsletter/.