After a decade of existence, the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS®) will celebrate ten years of being “The Voice of Screening Professionals” at the 2013 10th Anniversary NAPBS Annual Conference at the J.W. Marriott Desert Ridge Resort & Spa in Phoenix, Arizona from September 15 to 17, 2013. For information about the 2013 NAPBS Annual Conference, visit http://www.napbs.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageID=3618.
Founded in 2003 as a non-profit trade association, the NAPBS represents the interest of companies offering tenant, employment, and background screening. According to the NAPBS website, the organization’s mission is to promote ethical business practices, compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), equal employment opportunity, and state consumer protection laws relating to the background screening profession.
The following NAPBS 10-Year Highlights timeline is included in the Special 10th Anniversary Edition of the NAPBS Journal of the July-August 2013 issue available at http://www.napbs.com/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageID=3315:
- 2002: A group of industry leaders proposed forming an association for the background screening industry.
- 2003: June 2003 – NAPBS Incorporated as a 501(c)6 and retained IMI Association Executives for association management; September 2003 – Formal invitations to join NAPBS sent to a list of industry companies; December 2003 – NAPBS Membership: 220 members.
- 2004: March 2004 – Les Rosen delivered the first association address to 222 attendees at NAPBS’ first Annual Conference in Arizona; April 2004 – NAPBS released the first issue of The Journal.
- 2006: NAPBS began distributing The Thursday Letter.
- 2007: September 2007 – NAPBS Mid-Year Meeting in Chicago, Ill. featured a visit to the Chicago Board of Options and Exchange (CBOE); December 2007 – NAPBS Membership: 394 regular members.
- 2009: April 2009 – The Provider Committee released the first NAPBS Provider Directory at the Annual Conference in St. Louis, Mo.
- 2010: January 2010 – NAPBS ratified the Background Screening Agency Accreditation Program (BSAAP); April 2010 – NAPBS unveils new tagline: “The Voice of Screening Professionals.”; September 2010 – NAPBS testified before a US House Financial Services Subcommittee on Capitol Hill regarding the use of credit reports in the hiring process.
- 2011: April 2011 – NAPBS Announces first international affiliated chapter NAPBS Asia-Pacific (APAC); October 2011 – NAPBS testified before the Internal Revenue Service to offer CRA alternative to fingerprinting; November 2011 – NAPBS launched FCRA Certification Program.
- 2012: December 2012 – NAPBS presented before the US Civil Rights Commission regarding the EEOC Guidance on Criminal Background Checks.
- Today: NAPBS boasts 754 members strong, 39 Accredited companies, 700 FCRA Basic and 84 FCRA Advanced Certification holders.
Attorney Lester Rosen, Founder and CEO of Employment Screening Resources® (ESR), was the chairperson of the steering committee that founded the NAPBS and served as the first co-chairman. He also delivered the first association address at the first NAPBS Annual Conference in Scottsdale, Arizona in 2004. For information about ESR, a nationwide screening firm accredited by the NAPBS, visit http://www.esrcheck.com or call Toll Free 888.999.4474.
About Employment Screening Resources® (ESR):
Founded by safe hiring expert Attorney Les Rosen in 1997, Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – ‘The Background Check Authority®’– provides accurate and actionable information that empowers employers to make informed hiring decisions for the benefit of their organizations, employees, and the public. CEO Rosen literally wrote the book on background checks with “The Safe Hiring Manual” and ESR is accredited by The National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS), a distinction held by a small percent of screening firms. Employers choosing ESR know they have selected an agency meeting the highest industry standards. To learn more about ESR, visit http://www.esrcheck.com or call toll free 888.999.4474.
About ESR News: The Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) News blog – ESR News – provides employment screening information for employers, recruiters, and jobseekers on a variety of topics including credit reports, criminal records, data privacy, discrimination, E-Verify, jobs reports, legal updates, negligent hiring, workplace violence, and use of search engines and social network sites for background checks. For more information about ESR News or to send comments or questions, please email ESR News Editor Thomas Ahearn at [email protected]. To subscribe to the ESR News Blog Feed, visit http://www.esrcheck.com/wordpress/feed/. To subscribe to the complimentary ESRcheck Report monthly newsletter, please visit http://www.esrcheck.com/Newsletter/.