Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
The U.S. economy added 142,000 jobs in September 2015 led by gains in the health care and professional and business services industries, according to ‘THE EMPLOYMENT SITUATION — SEPTEMBER 2015’ released by the Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics.
The report found the unemployment rate remained unchanged at 5.1 percent while the number of unemployed persons decreased from 8.0 million to 7.9 million. Over the year, the unemployment rate and the number of unemployed persons were down by 0.8 percentage point and 1.3 million.
Job growth has averaged 198,000 jobs per month so far in 2015, compared with an average monthly gain of 260,000 jobs in 2014. In September, job gains occurred in health care, professional and business services, retail, food services and drinking places, and information.
- Health care employment added 34,000 jobs in September, in line with the average increase of 38,000 jobs per month over the prior 12 months.
- Professional and business services employment continued to trend up in September with 31,000 jobs added. Job growth has averaged 45,000 jobs per month thus far in 2015, compared with an average monthly gain of 59,000 jobs in 2014.
- Retail trade employment trended up in September with 24,000 jobs added, in line with its average monthly gain of 27,000 jobs over the prior 12 months.
- Food services and drinking places employment added 21,000 jobs in September. Over the year, this industry has added 349,000 jobs.
- Information employment increased by 12,000 jobs in September and has increased by 44,000 jobs over the year.
Employment in construction, manufacturing, wholesale trade, transportation and warehousing, financial activities, and government, showed little or no change. Mining employment declined by 10,000 jobs in September and is down 102,000 jobs since reaching a peak in December 2014.
The July jobs report was revised from 245,000 jobs added to 223,000 jobs added while the August jobs report was revised from 173,000 jobs added to 136,000 jobs added. Employment gains in July and August combined were 59,000 less than previously reported.
The Employment Situation for October is scheduled to be released on Friday, November 6, 2015. The most recent jobs report released by the Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics is available at http://www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf.
ESR Helps Employers Fill Jobs In All Industries
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) offers fast, accurate, and affordable background checks for a wide variety of industries including Financial, Health Care, High Tech, Retail, and Tribal Gaming. For more information about ESR, please visit http://www.esrcheck.com/sales/.
© 2015 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.