Recent Posts


Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn

U.S. employers have reported the most optimistic hiring plans in a decade for the first quarter of 2018 with a seasonally adjusted Net Employment Outlook of +19 percent that is the highest in ten years, according to the ManpowerGroup Employment Outlook Survey of 11,500 employers for Q1 2018.

The survey found 21 percent of employers plan to hire while 71 percent plan to keep workforce levels steady, meaning nine out of ten employers – 92 percent – will add to workforces or keep them steady. The remaining 8 percent of employers are unsure about their hiring plans or plan to let people go.

The industry sectors expecting to add the most staff in Q1 2018 are Leisure & Hospitality (+28 percent), Transportation & Utilities (+26 percent), Professional & Business Services (+23 percent), Wholesale & Retail Trade (+23 percent), Durable Goods Manufacturing (+19 percent), and Construction (+18 percent).

“We’re seeing a renaissance in industries like construction and manufacturing in the U.S.,” said Becky Frankiewicz, president of ManpowerGroup North America, stated in a press release about the survey. “These are not the jobs of the past – many are highly skilled roles that will build America’s future.”

The Net Employment Outlook is derived by taking the percentage of employers anticipating an increase in hiring activity and subtracting from this the percentage of employers expecting a decrease in hiring activity. The ManpowerGroup Employment Outlook Survey for Q2 2018 will be released March 13, 2018.

The ManpowerGroup Employment Outlook Survey is conducted quarterly to measure the intentions of employers to increase or decrease the number of employees in workforces during the next quarter. The complete Q1 2018 survey results for the U.S. are available at:

Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) offers employers a complimentary whitepaper entitled “How to Choose an ATS to Work with Your Background Screening Firm” that reviews critical factors to consider when choosing an Applicant Tracking System (ATS) to help find the most talented workers.

Employment Screening Resources (ESR) Helps Employers with Hiring

Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) is a leading global background check firm accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS®) that helps employers find the right person for the right job. To learn more about ESR, visit

NOTE: Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.

© 2018 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.