Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
Attorney Lester Rosen, founder and CEO of leading global background check firm Employment Screening Resources (ESR), will present a webinar with Business & Legal Resources (BLR) entitled “Ban-the-Box, Background Checks, and Salary Inquiries: The Latest Update and Legal Tripwires to Avoid” on Wednesday, March 28, 2018, from 1:30 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. Eastern/10:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. Pacific. To register for the event, click here.
Employers are entitled to perform background checks before hiring someone but have to stay within the law. Employers need to consider all the moving parts for background checks that may be present at the local, state, and national level. Attendees of the 90 minute webinar hosted by Rosen – a nationally recognized expert on background checks and the author of “The Safe Hiring Manual” – will learn:
- The latest updates on ban-the-box laws, salary inquiry restrictions, and other laws that affect background checks of prospective hires.
- Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) rules on employee background checks.
- Best practices for reviewing job advertisements, employment applications, and other hiring-related documentation.
- How to handle tricky questions relating to salary, and the laws you need to be aware of.
- Whether you have to explain if you decide against hiring someone because of a criminal record—and why.
- How many years back you can go when doing background checks.
- How to establish background check policies that link the decision-making to job descriptions.
- How to avoid “red flag” issues that could result in disparate treatment or disparate impact.
The webinar has been pre-approved for 1.5 hours of general recertification credit toward PHR and SPHR recertification for the HR Certification Institute (HRCI) and 1.5 Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP for the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM). To register, please visit http://store.blr.com/ban-the-box-background-checks-salary-inquiries-032818.
Rosen founded Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) in the San Francisco, California-area in 1997. ESR is accredited by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS) and undergoes annual SOC 2 audits to protect the privacy, security, and confidentiality of consumer information used for background checks. To learn more about ESR, please visit www.esrcheck.com.
ESR Calendar for Events on Background Checks
Employment Screening Resource (ESR) – a leading global background check firm – has provided engaging and informative speakers as part of the upcoming “ESR Speaks” program for conferences, seminars, and webinars nationwide for over a decade to help employers better understand background checks. For a list of upcoming events, please visit www.esrcheck.com/Tools-Resources/Event-Calendar/.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2018 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.