Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
Attorney Lester Rosen, founder and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of leading global background check firm Employment Screening Resources® (ESR), will present a live webinar titled “Background Checks: Best Practices, Trends, and Legal Compliance” on Tuesday, July 7, 2020, from 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Pacific Time. To register, visit https://auroratrainingadvantage.com/webinars/background-checks-1/.
In this webinar hosted by Aurora Training Advantage, Rosen – author of “The Safe Hiring Manual” – will explain the basics of background checks for employers. Just one bad hire can create a significant and financial nightmare, including lawsuits for negligent hiring, theft, workplace violence, and having unqualified workers on the job. However, background checks are also increasingly subject to litigation, legislation, and regulation.
Employee problems are caused by problem employees, and the webinar will help HR professionals avoid bad hires in the first place by practicing due diligence in their hiring programs. Employers will get updated on federal and state laws, lawsuits, and regulations controlling pre-employment screening background checks and audit their current practices for legal compliance. Webinar attendees will:
- Learn why background checks and due diligence have become mission critical for employers.
- Understand the basics of a negligent hiring lawsuit and defenses that work and do not work.
- Learn the basics of background checks including why and how it is done.
- Learn steps your organization can take today to implement a legally compliant program and to hire the best employees.
- Learn how the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and state laws impact screening and legal requirements for background checks.
- Understand the current explosion in class action lawsuits related to background checks.
- Be introduced to the screening industry and how it operates.
- Understand the rights or consumers and the obligations of employers and screening firms.
- Audit your current practices for legal compliance.
The webinar is approved for 1.5 general recertification credit hours toward general recertification through the HR Certification Institute (HRCI). Aurora Training Advantage is recognized by the Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM) to offer Professional Development Credits (PDCs) for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM. This webinar is valid for 1.5 PDC(s) for the SHRM-CP or SHRM-SCP.
Rosen was chairperson of the steering committee that founded the Professional Background Screening Association (PBSA) – a nonprofit organization representing the background screening industry formerly known as the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS) – and served as the first co-chair. In 2019, he was awarded the PBSA Lifetime Achievement Award.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) was founded by Rosen in 1997 in Northern California. ESR is accredited by the PBSA, undergoes annual SOC 2® Type 2 audits, adheres to the EU-U.S. and Swiss-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework, and was named one of the top background screening firms in 2019 by HRO Today Magazine’s Baker’s Dozen. To learn more about ESR, visit www.esrcheck.com.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2020 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies of or using any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.