Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
Total nonfarm payroll employment in the United States rose by 531,000 jobs in October 2021 after disappointing job gains were reported in August 2021 and September 2021, while the unemployment rate declined to 4.6 percent, according to the monthly jobs report released by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics.
The number of unemployed persons was 7.4 million in October 2021, down considerably from April 2020 but higher than before the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic in February 2020. Notable job gains occurred in leisure and hospitality, professional and business services, manufacturing, and transportation and warehousing.
- Leisure and hospitality employment increased by 164,000 jobs in October 2021 but is down by 1.4 million jobs since February 2020.
- Professional and business services employment added 60,000 jobs in October 2021 but is 215,000 jobs below its level in February 2020.
- Manufacturing employment rose by 60,000 jobs in October 2021 but is 270,000 jobs lower than in February 2020.
- Transportation and warehousing employment increased by 54,000 jobs in October 2021 and is 149,000 jobs above its level in February 2020.
- Retail trade employment rose by 56,000 jobs in October 2021 but is down by 202,000 jobs since February 2020.
- Construction employment rose by 44,000 jobs in October 2021 but is 150,000 jobs below its February 2020 level.
- Health care employment added 37,000 jobs in October 2021 but is down by 460,000 jobs since February 2020.
- Retail trade employment rose by 35,000 jobs in October 2021 but is 140,000 jobs lower than its level in February 2020.
- Other services employment increased by 33,000 jobs in October 2021 but is 169,000 jobs below its February 2020 level.
- Financial activities employment rose by 21,000 jobs in October 2021 and has returned to its February 2020 level.
- Wholesale trade employment increased by 14,000 jobs in October 2021 but is down by 158,000 jobs since February 2020.
- Information employment increased by 10,000 jobs over in October 2021 but is down by 122,000 jobs since February 2020.
- Mining employment added 5,000 jobs in October 2021 but is down by 87,000 jobs from a peak in January 2019.
- Local government education decreased by 43,000 jobs, state government education decreased by 22,000 jobs, but private education added 17,000 jobs in October 2021. Since February 2020, employment is down by 370,000 jobs in local government education, by 205,000 jobs in state government education, and by 148,000 jobs in private education.
The jobs report showed the change in employment for August 2021 was revised from 366,000 jobs added to 483,000 jobs added, while September 2021 was revised from 194,000 jobs added to 312,000 jobs added. With these revisions, gains in August 2021 and September 2021 were 235,000 jobs higher than previously reported.
The jobs report is usually released on the first Friday of every month at www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm (PDF). The jobs report for November 2021 will be released on Friday, December 3, 2021. More information about the October 2021 jobs report is at www.bls.gov/covid19/employment-situation-covid19-faq-october-2021.htm.
COVID-19 is a deadly respiratory illness that spreads from person to person. As of November 5, 2021, there are approximately 248 million global cases and 5 million global deaths, while the United States leads the world with approximately 46 million cases and 751,000 deaths, according to research from Johns Hopkins University.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – a leading global background check provider that was ranked the number one screening firm by HRO Today in 2020 – offers a wide selection of background screening services that include industry specific solutions to help employers fill jobs. To learn more about ESR, visit www.esrcheck.com.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2021 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies of or using any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.