Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
There were 4,764 fatal work injuries recorded in the United States in 2020, a 10.7-percent decrease from 5,333 such injuries in 2019, and the fatal work injury rate was 3.4 fatalities per 100,000 full-time equivalent (FTE) workers in 2020, down from 3.5 per 100,000 FTE in 2019, according to the Census of Fatal Occupational Injuries (CFOI) released in December of 2021 by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). Key findings from the CFOI include:
- The 4,764 fatal occupational injuries in 2020 were the lowest annual number since 2013.
- A worker died every 111 minutes from a work-related injury in 2020.
- Transportation incidents remained the most frequent type of fatal event with 1,778 fatal injuries in 2020, accounting for 37.3 percent of all work-related fatalities.
- Women made up 8.1 percent of all fatalities but represented 16.3 percent of workplace homicides in 2020.
- In 2020, workers between the ages of 45 and 54 suffered 954 workplace fatalities, the lowest count for this age group since 1992.
The CFOI reports fatal workplace injuries only. These may include fatal workplace injuries complicated by an illness such as COVID-19. Fatal workplace illnesses not precipitated by an injury are not in scope for CFOI. The CFOI does not report any illness related information. Learn more at www.bls.gov/covid19/effects-of-covid-19-on-workplace-injuries-and-illnesses-compensation-and-occupational-requirements.htm.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – a service offering of ClearStar, a leading provider of Human Capital Integrity℠ technology-based services specializing in background and medical screening – offers comprehensive background screening services that empower businesses to make compliant and informed hiring decisions and help ensure workplace safety. To learn more about background screening, contact ESR today.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – a service offering of ClearStar – does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2022 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – A Service Offering of ClearStar – Making copies of or using any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.