Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
The United States economy added 199,000 jobs in December 2021 while the unemployment rate declined to 3.9 percent, according to the jobs report released by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). Employment rose in leisure and hospitality, professional and business services, manufacturing, and construction during the month.
The jobs report showed the number of unemployed persons fell by 483,000 to 6.3 million in December 2021. In February 2020, prior to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the unemployment rate was 3.5 percent, and unemployed persons numbered 5.7 million. Job gains and losses occurred in the following industries:
- Leisure and hospitality employment increased by 53,000 jobs in December 2021 but is down by 1.2 million jobs since February 2020.
- Professional and business services employment added 43,000 jobs in December 2021 but is 35,000 jobs below its level in February 2020.
- Manufacturing employment added 26,000 jobs in December 2021 but is 219,000 jobs lower than in February 2020.
- Construction employment rose by 22,000 jobs in December 2021 but is 88,000 jobs below its February 2020 level.
- Transportation and warehousing employment increased by 19,000 jobs in December 2021 and is 218,000 jobs above its February 2020 level.
- Wholesale trade employment increased by 14,000 jobs in December 2021 but is 129,000 jobs lower than in February 2020.
- Mining employment rose by 7,000 jobs in December 2021 but is down by 81,000 jobs from a peak in January 2019.
- Employment showed little or no change in other major industries such as retail trade, information, financial activities, health care, other services, and government in December 2021.
The jobs report showed the change in employment for October 2021 was revised from 546,000 jobs added to 648,000 jobs added, while November 2021 was revised from 210,000 jobs added to 249,000 jobs added. With these revisions, gains in October 2021 and November 2021 were 141,000 jobs higher than previously reported.
For each month from March 2020 to December 2021, the BLS has published a summary of the impact of the pandemic on the jobs report. The summary for December 2021 is at www.bls.gov/covid19/employment-situation-covid19-faq-december-2021.htm. Starting with the January 2022 jobs report, this summary will be discontinued.
The jobs report is usually released on the first Friday of every month at www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm. The jobs report for January 2022 will be released on Friday, February 4, 2022. A PDF version of the news release for the jobs report is at www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf. To learn more about the BLS, visit www.bls.gov.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – a service offering of ClearStar, a leading provider of Human Capital Integrity℠ technology-based services – offers background screening services to employers needing to screen job applicants with industry-specific solutions. To learn more about background screening, contact ESR today.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – a service offering of ClearStar – does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2022 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – A Service Offering of ClearStar – Making copies of or using any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.