Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
The United States economy added 467,000 jobs and the unemployment rate rose to 4.0 percent in January 2022, according to the jobs report released by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Employment rose the most in leisure and hospitality, professional and business services, retail trade, and transportation and warehousing.
The jobs report showed the number of unemployed persons increased to 6.5 million in January 2022. In February 2020, prior to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the unemployment rate was 3.5 percent, and unemployed persons numbered 5.7 million. Job gains occurred in the following industries during the month:
- Leisure and hospitality employment increased by 151,000 jobs in January 2022 but is down by 1.8 million jobs since February 2020.
- Professional and business services employment added 86,000 jobs in January 2022 and is 511,000 jobs higher than its level in February 2020.
- Retail trade employment rose by 61,000 jobs in January 2022 and is 61,000 jobs above its level in February 2020.
- Transportation and warehousing employment increased by 54,000 jobs in January 2022 and is 542,000 jobs higher than its February 2020 level.
- Local government education employment rose by 29,000 jobs in January 2022 but is down by 359,000 jobs since February 2020.
- Health care employment added 18,000 jobs in January 2022 but is down by 378,000 jobs from its level in February 2020.
- Wholesale trade employment increased by 16,000 jobs in January 2022 but is 125,000 jobs lower than in February 2020.
- Employment showed little change in mining, construction, manufacturing, information, financial activities, and other services in January 2022.
The jobs report is usually released on the first Friday of every month at www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm. The jobs report for February 2022 will be released on Friday, March 4, 2022. A PDF version of the news release for the jobs report is at www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf. To learn more about the BLS, visit www.bls.gov.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – a service offering of ClearStar, a leading provider of Human Capital Integrity℠ technology-based services – offers background screening services to employers needing to screen job applicants with industry-specific solutions. To learn more about background screening, contact ESR today.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – a service offering of ClearStar – does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2022 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – A Service Offering of ClearStar – Making copies of or using any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.