California employers are required to post their annual summary of work-related injuries and illnesses, including COVID-19 illness, in a visible and easily accessible area at every worksite from February 1st through April 30th. Employers are required to use Cal/OSHA’s Form 300A for this posting.
Employers can find an overview regarding completing both the log (Form 300) and the annual summary (Form 300A) on Cal/OSHA’s Recording Keeping Overview page. Cal/OSHA requires employers to record work-related fatalities, injuries, and illnesses. To be recordable under Cal/OSHA’s regulations, an injury or illness must be work-related and result in one of the following:
- Days away from work.
- Restricted work or transfer to another job.
- Medical treatment beyond first aid.
- Loss of consciousness.
- A significant injury or illness diagnosed by a physician or other licensed health care professional.
As with other recordable injuries and illnesses, a work-related COVID-19 case must meet one of the above-referenced requirements to be recordable. Certain employers are required to annually electronically submit Form 300A data to Cal/OSHA by March 2nd. Covered employers are those that meet one of the following requirements:
- Has 250 or more employees, unless specifically exempted by section 14300.2 of title 8 of the California Code of Regulations.
- Has 20 to 249 employees in the specified industries listed including Agriculture, Manufacturing, and Grocery Stores. For a full list of covered industries, employers can review Appendix H.
Information on how to make the electronic submission is available on the federal OSHA’s Injury Tracking Application website.
NOTE: This article originally appeared under the title “300A Alert! Reminder to Post and Report Annual Summary of Work-Related Injuries and Illnesses” in the ClearStar January 2022 Screening Compliance Update available at www.clearstar.net/category/screening-compliance-update/.
About ClearStar, Inc.
ClearStar – a Hanover Investors portfolio company – is a leading provider of Human Capital Integrity™ technology-based services specializing in background, credit, and medical screening. ClearStar has provided innovative technology solutions to businesses across a wide variety of industries from its corporate offices in Alpharetta, Georgia, since 1995. For more information about ClearStar, please visit www.clearstar.net.