Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
The United States economy added 390,000 jobs and the unemployment rate was unchanged at 3.6 percent in May 2022, according to the jobs report released by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). Notable job gains occurred in leisure and hospitality, professional and business services, and transportation and warehousing.
The number of unemployed persons was essentially unchanged at 6.0 million in May 2022. In February 2020, prior to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the unemployment rate was 3.5 percent and unemployed persons numbered 5.7 million. The jobs report tracked changes in employment in all major industries.
- Leisure and hospitality added 84,000 jobs in May 2022 (-1.3 million jobs since February 2020).
- Professional and business services added 75,000 jobs in May 2022 (+821,000 jobs since February 2020).
- Transportation and warehousing added 47,000 jobs in May 2022 (+709,000 jobs since February 2020).
- Construction added 36,000 jobs in May 2022 (+40,000 jobs since February 2020).
- State government education added 36,000 jobs in May 2022 (+27,000 jobs since February 2020).
- Private education added 33,000 jobs in May 2022 (Essentially recovered since February 2020).
- Health care added 28,000 jobs in May 2022 (-223,000 jobs since February 2020).
- Manufacturing added 18,000 jobs in May 2022 (-17,000 jobs since February 2020).
- Wholesale trade added 14,000 jobs in May 2022 (-41,000 since February 2020).
- Local government education added 14,000 jobs in May 2022 (-308,000 jobs since February 2020).
- Mining added 6,000 jobs in May 2022 (+80,000 since a recent low in February 2021).
- Retail trade lost 61,000 jobs in May 2022 (+159,000 jobs since February 2020).
- Information, financial activities, and other services showed little change in May 2022.
The change in total employment for March 2022 was revised from 428,000 jobs added to 398,000 jobs added while April 2022 was revised from 428,000 jobs added to 436,000 jobs added. With these revisions, employment in March 2022 and April 2022 combined is 22,000 jobs lower than previously reported.
The jobs report is released on the first Friday of every month at www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm. The jobs report for June 2022 will be released on Friday, July 8, 2022. A PDF version of the news release for the jobs report is at www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf. To learn more about the BLS, visit www.bls.gov.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – a service offering of ClearStar, a leading HR-technology company specializing in background, drug, and medical screening services – offers background screening services to employers to screen job applicants with industry-specific solutions. To learn more, contact ESR today.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – a service offering of ClearStar – does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2022 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – A Service Offering of ClearStar – Making copies of or using any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.
Share on Social Media