Written By Digital Content Editor Thomas Ahearn
Health screenings for employment are medical tests that an employer asks job candidates to complete to determine if the candidates can successfully perform their job responsibilities and help keep all employees in the workplace safe and productive. They are usually performed sometime after a conditional job offer.
Jobs that may require health screenings for employment include – but are not limited to – airline pilots, firefighters, police officers, and warehouse workers. Employers check for any potential health risks an employee might pose to themselves or others in the workplace A health screening for employment may include:
- Routine physical examination.
- Heart health test.
- Drug and/or alcohol test.
- Physical ability test (running and/or lifting).
However, employers may not ask job candidates to take a health screening for employment to detect disabilities, chronic illnesses, mental health, or physical ailments for this is discriminatory under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Health screenings for employment must specifically relate to completing job duties.
Employers can only withdraw a conditional job offer after a health screening for employment if it reveals a candidate cannot perform the job responsibilities safely even with “reasonable accommodations,” which are adjustments to work responsibilities or environment that would allow a candidate to complete their job duties.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) is a service offering of ClearStar, a leading HR-technology company specializing in background, drug, and medical screening for employment. ClearStar provides Pre-Employment Medical Testing and Physical Health Screening Tests that offer the following capabilities:
- Only provider capable of single candidate invitation for a background check, drug test, and physical.
- Service backed by a robust national clinical network.
- Basic physicals including medical history, vision, and hearing.
- Complex physicals that include chest x-rays, lift assessments, and electrocardiograms (EKGs).
- Tetanus and flu shots.
- Wide array of immunizations that include Hepatitis A & B, Varicella, Measles-Mumps-Rubella (MMR).
- Specialized services including Deoxyribonucleic Acid (DNA) marker and Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) screening.
- Health and wellness tests that include glucose, calcium, and vitamin D.
- Full integration with most Applicant Tracking Systems (ATSs).
A portfolio company of Hanover Investors, ClearStar has provided innovative technology solutions to businesses in the human capital management industry since 1995 from its corporate offices in Alpharetta, Georgia. ClearStar acquired Employment Screening Resources (ESR) in 2021. To learn more, contact ClearStar today.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – a service offering of ClearStar – does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2022 Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – A Service Offering of ClearStar – Making copies of or using any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.
Share on Social Media