Written By Digital Content Editor Thomas Ahearn
Attorney Lester S. Rosen, the founder of Employment Screening Resources (ESR) and the author of “The Safe Hiring Manual,” will present a live webinar titled “Legally Obtaining and Using Criminal Records, and the Impact of the EEOC and Ban the Box” from 11:00 AM to 12:30 PM PDT on Thursday, August 11, 2022.
In April 2012, the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the agency that enforces federal laws prohibiting employment discrimination, approved “Enforcement Guidance on the Consideration of Arrest and Conviction Records in Employment Decisions under Title VII of the Civil Rights Act” which impacted employers.
In this webinar hosted by Aurora Training Advantage, Rosen will give “real world” examples of what employers should do now to remain in compliance while performing criminal background checks and provide a road map for action items they can implement immediately to demonstrate legal compliance. Webinar attendees will:
- Review issues concerning employment discrimination based on race and national origin.
- Discuss the differences between arrest and conviction records.
- Review the basics of how criminal records are maintained, what records are available to employers, and how background firms obtain criminal records.
- Understand why “Ban the Box” rules are needed to give ex-offenders a second chance and how employers can comply with the legal requirements.
- Review disparate treatment and disparate impact analysis under Title VII.
- Discuss the 2012 EEOC Guidance and critical topics such as the three-part “Targeted Screens” and “Individualized Assessments.”
- Examine recommended best practices for compliance with the 2012 EEOC Guidance.
The webinar is worth 1.5 recertification credit hours from the HR Certification Institute’s® (HRCI®) and 1.5 Professional Development Credits (PDCs) from the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM®). To register for the webinar, visit https://auroratrainingadvantage.com/webinars/criminal-records-1/.
Rosen is a consultant, expert witness, and frequent presenter nationwide on safe hiring issues. He was the chairperson of the steering committee that founded the Professional Background Screening Association (PBSA) and served as the first co-chairman. He received the PBSA Lifetime Achievement Award in 2019.
Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – a service offering of ClearStar, a leading HR-technology company specializing in background, drug, and health screening – offers criminal records searches that comply with the EEOC Guidance on the use of criminal records by employers. To learn more, contact ESR today.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – a service offering of ClearStar – does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2022 Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – A Service Offering of ClearStar – Making copies of or using any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.
Share on Social Media