Written By Digital Content Editor Thomas Ahearn
The United States economy added 372,000 jobs and the unemployment rate was unchanged at 3.6 percent in June 2022, according to the jobs report released by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). Notable job gains occurred in professional and business services, leisure and hospitality, and health care.
The number of unemployed persons was essentially unchanged at 5.9 million in June 2022. In February 2020, prior to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, the unemployment rate was 3.5 percent and unemployed persons numbered 5.7 million. The jobs report tracked changes in employment in all major industries.
- Professional and business services added 74,000 jobs in June 2022 (+880,000 jobs since February 2020).
- Leisure and hospitality added 84,000 jobs in June 2022 (-1.3 million jobs since February 2020).
- Health care added 57,000 jobs in June 2022 (-176,000 jobs since February 2020).
- Transportation and warehousing added 47,000 jobs in June 2022 (+759,000 jobs since February 2020).
- Manufacturing added 29,000 jobs in June 2022 (and has returned to its February 2020 level).
- Information added 25,000 jobs in June 2022 (+105,000 jobs since February 2020).
- Social assistance added 21,000 jobs in June 2022 (-87,000 jobs since February 2020).
- Wholesale trade added 16,000 jobs in June 2022 (-18,000 jobs since February 2020).
- Mining added 5,000 jobs in June 2022 (+86,000 jobs since a recent low in February 2021).
- Construction, retail trade, financial activities, other services, and government changed little in June 2022.
The change in total employment for April 2022 was revised from 436,000 jobs added to 368,000 jobs added while May 2022 was revised from 390,000 jobs added to 384,000 jobs added. With these revisions, employment in April 2022 and May 2022 combined is 74,000 jobs lower than previously reported.
The jobs report is released on the first Friday of every month at www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm. The jobs report for July 2022 will be released on Friday, August 5, 2022. A PDF version of the jobs report is at www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf. To learn more about the BLS, visit www.bls.gov.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – a service offering of ClearStar, a leading HR-technology company specializing in background, drug, and health screening – offers background screening services to employers to screen job applicants with industry-specific solutions. To learn more, contact ESR today.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – a service offering of ClearStar – does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2022 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – A Service Offering of ClearStar – Making copies of or using any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.
Share on Social Media