Written By Digital Content Editor Thomas Ahearn
The United States economy added 263,000 jobs and the unemployment rate edged down to 3.5 percent in September 2022, according to “The Employment Situation” report released each month by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Notable job gains occurred in leisure and hospitality and in health care.
- Leisure and hospitality added 83,000 jobs in September 2022.
- Health care added 60,000 jobs in September 2022.
- Professional and business services added 46,000 jobs in September 2022.
- Manufacturing added 22,000 jobs in September 2022.
- Construction added 19,000 jobs in September 2022.
- Wholesale trade added 11,000 jobs in September 2022.
- Transportation and warehousing lost 8,000 jobs in September 2022.
- Financial activities lost 8,000 jobs in September 2022.
- Employment showed little change in other mining, retail trade, information, other services, and government.
The change in total employment for July 2022 was revised from 526,000 jobs added to 537,000 jobs added while August 2022 was not revised and remained at 315,000 jobs added. With these revisions, employment in July 2022 and August 2022 combined is 11,000 jobs higher than previously reported.
“The Employment Situation” is usually released on the first Friday of every month. “The Employment Situation” for October 2022 will be released on Friday, November 4, 2022, at www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm. A PDF version of the report will be available at www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf.
Employment Screening Resources (ESR) is a service offering of ClearStar, a leading Human Resources technology company specializing in background checks, drug testing, and occupational health screening. ClearStar offers background check services to help employers fill jobs. To learn more, contact ClearStar.
Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – a service offering of ClearStar – does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2022 Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – A Service Offering of ClearStar – Making copies of or using any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.
Share on Social Media