Written By Digital Content Editor Thomas Ahearn
Attorney Lester S. Rosen, the founder of Employment Screening Resources (ESR) and the author of “The Safe Hiring Manual,” will present a live in-person session at the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM) Talent Conference & Expo 2023 taking place in Orlando, Florida, and virtually from April 16th to 19th, 2023.
Rosen will present a session titled “Everything You Wanted to Know about Background Checks But Were Afraid to Ask” on Monday, April 17th, 2023, from 10:30 AM to 11:30 AM Eastern Time. Since problem employees cause employee problems, this session will help HR professionals avoid bad hires while staying in legal compliance.
Employers using background checks should be aware of class action lawsuits filed under the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) guidance on criminal records, and “Ban the Box” laws that give former offenders a second chance. Learning objectives of the session include:
- Learning why background checks and due diligence have become mission-critical for employers.
- Understanding the basics of a negligent hiring lawsuit and defenses that work and do not work.
- Avoiding class action lawsuits under the FCRA.
- Getting acquainted with cutting-edge issues such as the EEOC focus on criminal records and the use of social media screening.
- Learning how to spot fraudulent employment and education credentials.
- Understanding the importance of giving ex-offenders a second chance and compliance with “Ban the Box” laws and Fair Chance hiring rules.
- Learning steps your organization can take today to implement a legally compliant program and to hire the best employees.
Failure to conduct due diligence during hiring can create a legal and financial nightmare including lawsuits for negligent hiring and fraudulent workers. However, background checks are a complex process with a great many moving parts. Failure to comply with numerous state and federal laws and regulations carries extreme risks.
The repercussions of the “Great Resignation” have created a long-lasting global talent crisis. Organizations must adapt and adjust strategies to succeed in attracting and retaining top talent. At the SHRM Talent Conference & Expo 2023, attendees will gain new tools, research, and processes. To register for the event, click here.
Employment Screening Resources (ESR) is a service offering of ClearStar, a leading HR technology company specializing in background checks, drug testing, and occupational health screening. ClearStar offers background checks that comply with the FCRA, EEOC, and “Ban the Box” laws. To learn more, contact ClearStar.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – a service offering of ClearStar – does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2022 Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – A Service Offering of ClearStar – Making copies of or using any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.
Share on Social Media