Written By Digital Content Editor Thomas Ahearn
The United States economy added 223,000 jobs and the unemployment rate dropped to 3.5 percent in December 2022, according to “The Employment Situation” jobs report released by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Notable job gains occurred in leisure and hospitality, health care, construction, and social assistance.
- Leisure and hospitality added 67,000 jobs in December 2022.
- Health care added 55,000 jobs in December 2022.
- Construction added 28,000 jobs in December 2022.
- Social assistance added 20,000 jobs in December 2022.
- Other services added 14,000 jobs in December 2022.
- Retail trade added 9,000 jobs in December 2022.
- Manufacturing added 8,000 jobs in December 2022.
- Transportation and warehousing added 5,000 jobs in December 2022.
- Mining added 4,000 jobs in December 2022.
- Government added 3,000 jobs in December 2022.
- Professional and business services lost 6,000 jobs in December 2022.
- Wholesale trade, Information, and Financial Activities showed little change in December 2022.
The change in total employment for October 2022 was revised from 284,000 jobs added to 263,000 jobs added while November 2022 was revised from 263,000 jobs added to 256,000 jobs added. With these revisions, employment in October 2022 and November 2022 combined was 28,000 jobs lower than previously reported.
“The Employment Situation” is usually released on the first Friday of every month. The jobs report for January 2023 is scheduled to be released on Friday, February 3, 2023. The jobs report is available online each month at www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm and www.bls.gov/news.release/pdf/empsit.pdf.
Employment Screening Resources (ESR) is a service offering of ClearStar, a leading Human Resources technology company specializing in background checks, drug testing, and occupational health screening. ClearStar offers background check services to help employers fill vacant positions. To learn more, contact ClearStar.
Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – a service offering of ClearStar – does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2023 Employment Screening Resources (ESR) – A Service Offering of ClearStar – Making copies of or using any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.
Share on Social Media