Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
The United States economy added 213,000 jobs in June 2018 while the unemployment rate rose to 4.0 percent during the month, according to the Employment Situation report released by the U.S. Department of Labor’s (DOL) Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
The jobs report for June 2018 revealed that the number of unemployed persons rose to 7.0 million while job gains occurred in professional and business services, manufacturing, and health care, while employment in retail trade declined. Among specific business sectors:
- Professional and technical services employment increased by 50,000 jobs in June 2018 and has risen by 521,000 jobs over the year.
- Manufacturing employment added 36,000 jobs in June 2018 and has risen by 285,000 jobs over the past year.
- Health care employment rose by 25,000 jobs in June 2018 and has increased by 309,000 jobs over the past year.
- Construction employment added 13,000 jobs in June 2018 and has increased by 282,000 jobs over the past year.
- Mining employment rose by 5,000 jobs in June 2018 and has added 95,000 jobs since a recent low point in October 2016.
On the negative side, retail trade employment lost 22,000 jobs in June 2018. Employment showed little or no change over the month in other major industries including wholesale trade, transportation and warehousing, information, financial activities, leisure and hospitality, and government.
The change in employment for April 2018 was revised from 159,000 jobs added to 175,000 jobs added while May 2018 was revised from 223,000 jobs added to 244,000 jobs added. With the revisions, employment gains in these two months were 37,000 jobs more than previously reported.
The Employment Situation is usually released on the first Friday of every month. The Employment Situation for July 2018 is scheduled to be released on Friday, August 3, 2018. Until then, the most recent Employment Situation is available at www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm (PDF).
ESR Helps Employers Fill Jobs with Background Checks
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – a global background check firm – helps employers in every industry fill jobs using fast, accurate, affordable, and compliant background checks of job applicants. To learn more about ESR, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, or visit www.esrcheck.com.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2018 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.