Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
The United States economy added 304,000 jobs in January 2019 while the unemployment rate rose to 4.0 percent during the month, according to the January 2019 jobs report released by the U.S. Department of Labor’s (DOL) Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS).
January 2019 Jobs Report
The January 2019 jobs report showed the number of unemployed persons increased to 6.5 million while job gains occurred in leisure and hospitality, construction, health care, professional and business services, transportation and warehousing, retail trade, manufacturing, and mining.
- Leisure and hospitality employment rose by 74,000 jobs in January 2019 and has added 410,000 jobs over the year.
- Construction employment rose by 52,000 jobs in January 2019 and has added 338,000 jobs over the past 12 months.
- Health care employment rose by 42,000 jobs in January 2019 and has increased by 368,000 jobs over the year.
- Professional and business services employment gained 30,000 jobs in January 2019 and has added 546,000 jobs over the year.
- Transportation and warehousing employment rose by 27,000 jobs in January 2019 and has increased by 219,000 jobs over the year.
- Retail trade employment added 21,000 jobs in January 2019 and has added 26,000 over the past 12 months.
- Manufacturing employment added 13,000 jobs in January 2019 and has increased by 261,000 jobs over the year.
- Mining employment increased by 7,000 jobs in January 2019 and has added 64,000 jobs over the year.
Employment in other major industries including wholesale trade, information, financial activities, and government showed little change over the month, according to the January 2019 jobs report.
The change in employment for November 2018 was revised from 176,000 jobs added to 196,000 jobs added while December 2018 was revised from 312,000 jobs added to 222,000 jobs added. With these revisions, job gains were 70,000 jobs less than previously reported.
The jobs report is usually released on the first Friday of every month. The jobs report for February 2019 is scheduled to be released on Friday, March 8, 2019. Until then, the most recent jobs report will be available at www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm (PDF).
A survey of HR professionals released in May 2018 by the National Association of Professional Background Screeners (NAPBS) – a non-profit trade organization representing the screening industry – revealed that 95 percent of employers conduct background checks on job applicants.
ESR Helps Employers Fill Jobs with Background Checks
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – a leading global background check firm – helps employers fill jobs in every industry using fast, accurate, affordable, and compliant background checks. To learn more about ESR, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn, or visit www.esrcheck.com.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2019 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies or using of any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.