Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
Since the 2020 holiday shopping season may depend on online shipping more than ever due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic that has caused over 200,000 deaths and counting in the United States, the Better Business Bureau (BBB) is offering consumers tips to ensure their packages are delivered to safely and securely.
Package theft is a growing problem across America and “porch pirates” that steal delivered packages are a frequent issue. A “2019 Package Theft Statistics Report” found that 36 percent of people recently surveyed have reported having a package stolen at least once. The BBB offers consumers the following safe delivery tips:
- Track your packages: Follow shipments from the seller to your front door with online, text message, or phone call tracking offered through the delivery company. Sign up for alerts to be notified of delays or exceptions and when the package has been delivered.
- Request a signature: This package delivery feature will likely come with a fee, but without a recipient’s signature, the delivery service won’t be able to leave a package exposed on a doorstep.
- Use your credit card: When making purchases online, use your credit card rather than a debit card or another form of payment. Credit card companies are more likely to offer refunds in the event of theft.
- Insure valuable items: Purchase delivery insurance to protect merchandise against loss or damage. Contact your local police department if you do become a victim of package theft.
- Check with online retailers: Many online retailers offer alternative shipping options. Check to see if they offer a delivery option where you can pick up your items at a delivery hub near you.
- Check with your employer: Some employers will allow package delivery to your place of work for safe keeping.
- Ask your neighbors: If you know people that work out of their home or stay at home that live near you, ask them to look out for your deliveries.
The BBB reminds consumers to always report scammers. Consumers who have been the target of a scam or suspect scam activity should warn others by reporting it to authorities and the BBB Scam Tracker. For reliable information, lists of BBB Accredited Businesses, and BBB Business Reviews, visit the BBB at www.bbb.org.
COVID-19 is a deadly respiratory illness that spreads from person to person. As of October 5, 2020, there are approximately 35.2 million global cases and 1 million global deaths, while the United States leads the world with approximately 7.4 million cases and 209,000 deaths, according to research from Johns Hopkins University.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – a leading global background check provider – uses best practices for background checks for Coronavirus, offers a white paper about background checks in the Age of Coronavirus, and posts blogs about COVID-19 on the ESR News Blog. To learn more about ESR, visit www.esrcheck.com.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2020 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies of or using any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.