Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
Attorney Lester Rosen, the founder and chief executive officer (CEO) of leading global background check firm Employment Screening Resources® (ESR), will present a live webinar titled “Background Checks: Best Practices, Trends, and Legal Compliance” from 11:00 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Pacific Standard Time on November 23, 2021.
In this introductory webinar, attendees will learn the basics of pre-employment background checks for employers. Rosen will review the fundamentals of background checks and negligent hiring, and then audit ten key areas of legal compliance and current best practices designed to help employers hire the best while avoiding legal fallout.
Rosen will also review the mechanics of how a background screening program should work, answer frequently asked questions by employers, and review best practices when it comes to application forms, interviews, and past employment checks that occur before a background check is ordered. Attendees of the webinar will:
- Learn why background checks and due diligence have become mission critical for employers.
- Understand the basics of a negligent hiring lawsuit and defenses that work and do not work.
- Learn the basics of background checks including why and how it is done.
- Learn steps their organization can take to implement a legally compliant program and to hire the best employees.
- Learn how the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and state laws impact screening and legal requirements for background checks.
- Understand the current explosion in class action lawsuits related to background checks.
- Be introduced to the screening industry and how it operates.
- Understand the rights of consumers and the obligations of employers and screening firms.
- Audit their current practices for legal compliance.
“Just one bad hire can create a significant and financial nightmare, including lawsuits for negligent hiring, theft, workplace violence, and having unqualified workers on the job. However, background checks are increasingly subject to litigation, legislation, and regulation,” explains Rosen, the author of “The Safe Hiring Manual.”
The webinar from Aurora Training Advantage is approved for 1.5 general recertification credit hours through the HR Certification Institute (HRCI) and is valid for 1.5 Professional Development Credits (PDCs) through the Society for Human Resources Management (SHRM). To learn more about this webinar, including the cost, click here.
Rosen was the chairperson of the steering committee that founded the Professional Background Screening Association (PBSA) in 2003 and served as its first co-chair. In 2019, he received the PBSA Lifetime Achievement Award that recognizes an individual’s contributions that advanced excellence in the screening profession.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – which was ranked the number one background screening firm by HRO Today in 2020 – offers comprehensive background checks of job applicants that empower employers to make compliant and informed hiring decisions. To learn more about ESR, visit www.esrcheck.com.
NOTE: Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2021 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – Making copies of or using any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.