Written By ESR News Blog Editor Thomas Ahearn
The United States economy added 210,000 jobs in November 2021 while the unemployment rate declined to 4.2 percent, according to the jobs report released by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics. Notable job gains occurred in professional and business services, transportation and warehousing, construction, and manufacturing.
The jobs report showed the number of unemployed persons fell by 542,000 to 6.9 million in November 2021, which is down considerably from the end of the February 2020 to April 2020 recession but above the level prior to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic in February 2020. Job gains and losses occurred in the following industries:
- Professional and business services employment added 90,000 jobs in November 2021 but is 69,000 jobs below its level in February 2020.
- Transportation and warehousing employment increased by 50,000 jobs in November 2021 and is 210,000 jobs above its February 2020 level.
- Construction employment rose by 31,000 jobs in November 2021 but is 115,000 jobs below its February 2020 level.
- Manufacturing employment added 31,000 jobs in November 2021 but is 253,000 jobs lower than in February 2020.
- Leisure and hospitality employment increased by 23,000 jobs in November 2021 but is down by 1.3 million jobs since February 2020.
- Financial activities employment rose by 13,000 jobs in November 2021 and is 30,000 jobs above its February 2020 level.
- Health care employment added 2,000 jobs in November 2021 but is down by 450,000 jobs since February 2020.
- Retail trade employment declined by 20,000 jobs in November 2021 and is down by 176,000 jobs since February 2020.
- Employment showed little change in other major industries such as information, mining, other services, public and private education, and wholesale trade in November 2021.
The jobs report showed the change in employment for September 2021 was revised from 312,000 jobs added to 379,000 jobs added, while October 2021 was revised from 531,000 jobs added to 546,000 jobs added. With these revisions, gains in September 2021 and October 2021 were 82,000 jobs higher than previously reported.
The jobs report is usually released on the first Friday of every month at www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm (PDF). The jobs report for December 2021 will be released on Friday, January 7, 2022. More information about the November 2021 jobs report is at www.bls.gov/covid19/employment-situation-covid19-faq-november-2021.htm.
COVID-19 is a deadly respiratory illness that spreads from person to person. As of December 3, 2021, there are approximately 264 million global cases and 5.2 million global deaths, while the United States leads the world with approximately 48 million cases and 785,000 deaths, according to research from Johns Hopkins University.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – a service offering of ClearStar, a leading provider of Human Capital Integrity℠ technology-based services – offers background screening services and industry-specific solutions. To learn more about ESR, call (888) 999-4474, email [email protected], or schedule time with the Sales Team.
Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – a service offering of ClearStar – does not provide or offer legal services or legal advice of any kind or nature. Any information on this website is for educational purposes only.
© 2021 Employment Screening Resources® (ESR) – A Service Offering of ClearStar – Making copies of or using any part of the ESR News Blog or ESR website for any purpose other than your own personal use is prohibited unless written authorization is first obtained from ESR.